Help Centre

Help Informations

What kind of help do you need?

telephone image

Need Urgent Help or Support?

Concerned about the Impact of your Mental Wellbeing on University

If you have academic concerns (missing seminars / lectures, consider yourself at risk of failing your course or considering leaving or deferring University) please contact the Liaison Officer for your Faculty.

Emotional and Psychological Wellbeing

Your GP

University Counselling service - call 0191 515 2933, email, website

Samaritans - they provide confidential, non-judgemental emotional support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair call 08457 90 90 90 (24 hour helpline), text 07725 90 90 90, email, website

Mental Health Matters – 0800 013 0626(5pm-9am 24 hours weekends & Bank Holidays), website

Papyrus – They are a national UK charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. If you are a young person at risk of suicide or are worried about a young person at risk of suicide you can: Call 0800 068 41 41 (Mon-Fri 10am to 5pm and 7pm to 10pm;Week-ends 2pm to 5pm), Text 07786 209697, Email, website

CALM - Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is the male suicide prevention charity. Call 0800 585858 (national) - free, confidential helpline open every day 5pm–midnight.

In a ‘Mental Health’ Crisis

If you have a mental health problem and are experiencing a mental health crisis you can contact your local NHS Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Service. If you are under the care of a mental health team and have a specific care plan that states who to contact when you need urgent care, you should follow this plan.

Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment TeamContact Number
Sunderland, South Tyneside and Gateshead 0303 123 1145
Gateshead 0191 275 4949
Hartlepool 01429 285 858
Middlesbrough 01642 835 295
Morpeth (covers Northumberland) 0800 389 1406
Newcastle and North Tyneside 0191 219 4690/4647
North Durham 0191 441 5738
Redcar and Cleveland 01642 838 300
South Durham (includes Darlington) 01325 552 230
Stockton 01642 524 714

In an emergency and in need of urgent support: Call 999 or 112